Advance your professional career with Executive MBA at these B-schools
Executive MBA (EMBA) is a post graduate degree in business which is designed for professionals with work experience. The Executive MBA programme provides working professionals with the right work experience, the chance to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to advance in their respective careers.
Most EMBA programs can be completed within a year or so and are designed in such a manner that one can earn their degree while continuing their professional work. Strong emphasis is laid on bringing on-the-job knowledge to the learning environment. Many universities offering EMBA programs also offer their degree through distance learning mode. The courses for EMBA range from the foundations of business, such as finance, marketing, and accounting, and also include an emphasis on leadership and management in different business sectors.
So, if you are gearing yourself to thrive in this globalized and highly competitive business environment, then EMBA is the right choice. The framework of EMBA is specially designed for middle to senior level working professionals. Right from engineering students to those who want to learn about entrepreneurship; candidates from all the fields can pursue EMBA. It offers an opportunity to enhance your professional development while maintaining your workplace commitments. The schedule of EMBA is quite flexible in nature and offers classes on weekends. While the tuition fees for EMBA can be higher than those of a traditional MBA program, but they also come with a significant advantage. In most of the cases, employers are also willing to sponsor all or part of a student's EMBA costs, provided they recognize the benefit of the degree towards their work. EMBA offers specialization in various streams, such as human resource, finance, IT system, marketing, hospital management and many others.
So, without further ado, let’s start exploring EMBA options in India. Here are some of the top ranking B-schools that are known for their EMBA courses:
1. Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A) - The brand IIM needs no introduction at all. The IIM-A is consistently ranked as one of the best business school in India and accepts scores of CAT/GMAT for its executive training program. On clearing the cut-offs, the candidates are called for personal interview (PI) through video conference.
2. Indian School of Business, Hyderabad (ISB) – ISB is one of best private business school in India. It is known for exceptional business and management programs, which includes a postgraduate program in management for mid-career level, senior executives, research and for young business leaders of family business who intend to manage their career. They accept scores of GMAT/GRE/CAT/GATE/JRF/BAT and accept candidates who have a work experience of 4-5 years (but for PGPMAX 10-15 years’ work experience is required). They shortlist candidates on the basis of their scores, personal interview, leadership potential and sound academic credentials are offered a seat at ISB.
3. Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIM-B) – IIM-B is a well-known centre of excellence in the field of management education. The executive programs cater to various private and public sector organizations. Their customized executive education program ranges from two days to even a year. A valid GMAT score along with the work experience of 3-7 years is mandatory to get into IIM-B. Candidates are further required to submit the statement of purpose (SOP), reference letters and qualify the personal interview.
4. Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta (IIM-C) –IIM-C has been playing a pioneering role in professionalizing Indian management through its postgraduate, doctoral level programs and executive training programs. For an executive program, you need to qualify for VLM which is separate in-house aptitude test along with GMAT score. Candidates with more than 5-10 years of managerial and professional work experience can apply. They should be holding responsibilities in production planning and control, research, design and development, quality control, plant engineering, maintenance, supply chain, construction etc.
5. Xavier School of Management, Jamshedpur (XLRI) – XLRI is one of India’s oldest B-schools of India. The short listing of candidates for their executive fellow program in management is done through an application based procedure and for their fellow program, they accept scores of XLRI Research Aptitude Test (XL-RAPT) or GMAT/GRE/GATE/UGC JRF. Further, the selected lot is called for the personal interviews.
6. Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai (GLIM) – GLIM is one of the top business schools in India. GMAT/CAT/XAT/CMAT scores along with past academic performance, essays, work experience and performance are assessed for short listing the candidates.
7. Faculty of Management Studies, Delhi (FMS) - FMS, under the aegis of Delhi University, is one of the oldest B-schools in India. It offers executive MBA in general management and health care administration (evening program). Candidates should have at least five years of professional experience. They are further shortlisted on the basis of their application and are called further for the written ability test (WAT) and personal interview (PI). Final selection of the candidate will be based on the profile, quality of work experience, the WAT and PI.
8. Indian Institute of Management- Kozhikode (IIMK) – IIMK was the first institute in Asia to offer a distance learning program in management for working executives (*source: Wikipedia). This program is offered through an interactive learning (IL) mode. Minimum five years of work experience is required in order to apply for this program. Candidates are also required to score well in Executive Management Aptitude Test – EMAT, which is similar to CAT. The final list of the selected candidates is based on the merit list prepared after the personal interview.
9. Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow (IIML) – IIM-L is recognized as an “Institution of Excellence” by the India’s Ministry of Human Resource Development. Minimum three years of professional work experience is mandatory to join EMBA at IIM-L. Candidates are required to clear a written exam which is based on a pattern similar to that of CAT. The shortlisted candidates are screened further in the GD-PI process and get finalized for the course.
10. Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi (IIFT) - IIFT is reputed in the industry for providing excellent placements. It provides an Executive Post Graduate Diploma with specialization in international business, industrial marketing, and capital and financial markets. Minimum three years of managerial work experience is required. Shortlisted candidates are further called for a group discussion, essay writing followed by a personal interview.