An MBA degree has become a cornerstone of success in today’s corporate world. With the right degree from the right B-schools, candidates can fulfil their career goals of rising up the corporate ladder and holding strategic positions in the business world. But, over the years, MBA courses, curriculum and teaching pedagogy have come a long way and top B-schools in India have adopted these to ensure that their students enjoy the competitive edge.
However, with limited seats and traditional outlook towards MBA courses, the government B-schools are losing their touch when it comes to adopting the latest trends from the business. This is the space where private B-schools have flourished and are doing an excellent job of providing students with the right training, knowledge and opportunities. Today, there are many nationally and internationally renowned MBA colleges in India that offer credible MBA programmes. Such MBA programmes from private B-schools have become synonymous with success and are deemed to be the ultimate short-cut to success.
These private B-schools also open many new and innovative career avenues for students like Operations Management, Product Management, International Finance, Advertising Management, International Marketing, System Management, Operations, etc. and the newly launched program MBA in Luxury Brand Management. These specializations will allow students to develop the perspective and skills necessary to pursue a career in their field of interest.
An MBA from top school gets a six-seven figures package during their placement. Wouldn’t it be prudent enough to analyze the list of top B-schools in order to choose the best one for you?
To help you make a better choice, here’s a suggestive list of top 10 private MBA colleges in India. These colleges have been rated on various parameters ranging from faculty, placements, to facilities, etc. among others.
1. Xavier School of Management, Jamshedpur (XLRI) – XLRI is one of India’s oldest and finest management school. It offers courses in the areas of General management, business management, human resources, global MBA along with executive MBA, a fellow program in management and Master of Science Program in Positive Organization Development and Change (MPOD). They accept scores of XAT and GMAT. For other fellow programs, it also accepts scores of GMAT/GRE/GATE/UGC JRF. On clearing the cut-offs, the candidates are called for Group Discussion and Personal Interview (GDPI) and get selected. XLRI has a track record of providing quality placements in various national and international conglomerates.
2. Management Development Institute, Gurgaon (MDI) – MDI is one of the premier business schools. It offers courses in the areas of management, human resources, international management along with the executive program in the fields of national management, energy management, public policy management as well fellow program in management. It accepts scores of CAT and GMAT. The shortlisted candidates from their CAT scores are further called out for a round of Group Discussion and Interview (GDPI) and chosen ones are selected to be a part of this esteemed institution. Besides traditional roles, it also provides an opportunity for students to explore their career in various social and non-profit organizations.
3. SP Jain Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai (SPJIMR) – SPJIMR is an autonomous management institute and has campuses in Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore and Sydney. It provides various short-term and long-term programs to meet the needs of today’s market. Besides offering the traditional management and executive courses, it also provides programs suited for entrepreneurship, family managed business and social sector. They accept scores of CAT/XAT/GMAT. They take into account your academic record, entrance test scores, the relevance of work experience (if any), extra-curricular activities and your performance in the two rounds of interviews. Their students are known for successfully getting offered PPOs in consulting and other sectors.
4. Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad (IMT) – IMT is one of the best B-schools in India. It is well-known for offering programs in management which are up to industry standards. It fosters managerial skills and knowledge by imparting education in the field of business, economy and commerce. It accepts scores of CAT/XAT/CMAT/GMAT. The shortlisted students are further tested via 30 minute long Critical Thinking Test, group exercise, academic scores, and personal interview. Their students have bagged managerial roles in BFSI, Marketing, Sales, Telecom, FMCG sectors etc.
5. TA Pai Management Institute, Manipal (TAPMI) – TAPMI is one of the best colleges and is known for its picturesque location. It offers courses in the areas of banking and financial management and also in healthcare domain. CAT/XAT/GMAT scores are valid and selected students’ needs to qualify the admission process consisting of WAT and personal interviews. After assessing the candidate on score, academic excellence and extra-curricular activities; the final section of the student takes place. They claim to have 100% placement record from past 30 years.
6. KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, Mumbai (SIMSR) – SIMSR is consistently ranked among top 25 management institutes and top 10 private sector B-schools in India. It offers full-time, part-time and executive programs in Business Management along with Masters in Computer Applications and Doctoral Programs. Apart from the regular programs the institute offers tailor-made and industry specific certificate and executive development programs. It accepts scores of CAT/CMAT/XAT/GMAT. The shortlisted ones are asked to submit a profile form along with their Statement of Purpose (SOP) followed by case-based group discussion and personal interviews. They are known for providing excellent placements.
7. Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai (GLIM) – GLIM is one of the top business school which is known for providing India’s top rated business analytics program, taught in a blended learning environment (classroom + online) and an exceptional industry support. They accept GMAT/CAT/XAT/CMAT scores and the short listing of the students is based on an analytical writing test, scores and academic abilities. BIG4 companies are their top recruiters.
8. Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai (NMIMS) – NMIMS is one of India’s leading business schools. It offers programs in the areas of general management, pharmaceutical management, capital market, banking, HR, entrepreneurship & family businesses and social entrepreneurship. It accepts scores of NMAT/GMAT. Candidates are shortlisted on the basis of their NMAT scores, case discussion, and personal interview. Some of the courses require students to give a presentation on a topic given by them. NMIMS has been one of the favourite destinations for the BFSI sector.
9. Prin. LN Welingkar Institute of Management Development & Research, Mumbai – We school is one of the private business schools with its branches in Mumbai and Bangalore. It offers courses in marketing management, e-business, rural management, finance, systems, taxation, business design, material management, supply chain management, store management, media and hospital management. Candidates with a valid score in CAT/XAT/ATMA/MHCET/GMAT/CMAT can apply and are further tested via written test, psychometric test, academic score, work experience (if any), group discussion and personal interview. It holds an impressive placement record.
10. Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune (SCMHRD) – SCMHRD is regarded as one of India’s premier B-school and is known for its finance, marketing, operations courses and not just HR. They accept scores of SNAP only and shortlist students on the basis of further group exercise, WAT and Personal Exercise (GE-PIWAT). The placements records have seen better pay packages to the students compared to the previous year.